Sunday, October 3, 2010

Dying


Both of the kids just finished a studying seeds and plants in science. They each planted some kernels of corn (choclo in spanish) and had fun watching them germinate and grow. As they finished the subject last week, they each brought their seedlings home and now we have to find a place to plant them at home.

But these same plants were a sort of object lesson this morning at church. The preacher spoke from John. John 12:24-25 says "Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. Those who love their life will lose it, while those who hate their life in this world will keep it for eternal life."

What a challenge! No one wants to die to themselves. I know I don't like it--I like to fight for my rights and for what I think I "deserve" in life. But until I am able to give that up for the sake of God--my Lord--and die, I will never be fruitful. It is a good reminder to daily die to self and surrender to our Lord who loves us. Our God who died for us when he sent his son Jesus to die on the cross for us.

Oh, and by the way. We had our first tarantula in the house yesterday. No, no one "died" but we were all a bit freaked out by the fuzzy spider by our front door.

1 comment: